Sunday 24 January 2016

L O V E Flowing from the Heart

Love, Flowing from the Heart

“I’m not a loving person.” In Baggage Burdens. that is the self image that Jill has of herself. It’s an impression she formed when she was a rebellious teen. From the time Jill ran away from home to her years as a wife a reader may conclude Jill is right. She uses or manipulates others for her own benefit.
Bill, a person who attended the Family Conference in Chicago with Jill, would disagree. He’d probably say Jill not only has an empathetic ear, she responds in a supportive way. In the midst of a heavy snowstorm, Jill’s uncharacteristic loving initiative surprises Joseph, her husband.

in Bill’s prayer here is one of his memories from the Family Conference.
‘But Jill was so accepting. I told her things I couldn’t even say to myself, I couldn’t even tell You. I don’t know why I felt I could trust her. But I was right. I told her that even though Reverend Williams convinced me to go to the conference, I still felt like an abandoning husband. Jill didn’t see me as a monster.  She listened to me, talked with me, made me feel––’ he pauses, searching for words that described his feeling––‘I was a good man, a valuable person who had much to offer. What a relief! I could only conclude she was a gift from you.’

driving home in a heavy snowstorm
“Joseph, what’s wrong?”
Joseph sucks in a long deep breath. In a very low voice he says, “that radio warning––don’t drive unless you have to.” He falls silent again. His hand sweeps away another tear creeping out of the corner of his eye. “That’s like the warning my grandmother told me was issued when my parents tried to drive home from Grand Prairie. They didn’t heed it. They died.” He takes another deep breath. “I don’t want that for our children.”
Joseph’s arm shoots out pointing to the motel sign. “I knew it,” declares Joseph. “There’s a vacancy. Phone Julie. Tell her because of the roads we won’t be home tonight.”
Jill wonders what she can do distract Joseph from the sadness brought on by the memory of his parent’s snowstorm death. She remembers the opening scene of a play previewed for the drama club. A smile crosses her face.
“You coming?” repeats Joseph. He steps out of the car.
“You want a married woman to spend a night in a motel with you, right?”
The strange question stops Joseph. He states his affirmative answer. Turning around he looks at her, trying to figure out what she is up to.
“Do you think it’s wise that the clerk knows who the woman is that will be sharing your––”
“Whaaat?” says Joseph as he drags himself back into the car.
“Grabs your attention, doesn’t it?” says Jill grinning. “I just paraphrased part of an opening scene from a play our drama group half considered.”
“Jill, what does this have to do with anything?” A touch of annoyance colors Joseph’s response.
“Joseph, I want you to trade scenes, the depressing scene of your parent’s death for an alluring fantasy, a scene where a guy picks up an attractive women from a party and brings her to a motel for the night.”
Joseph digests her idea. He can’t believe he sees a playful smile. He dares to check it out. “A fling?” he ventures.
“With a mystery woman, a once-in-a-life-time opportunity,” clarifies Jill, grinning as she sees Joseph buying into her option. “A secret only you and I will know about.”

Are Jill’s loving actions above a case of a person can’t be all bad or a case of when one is safe loves flourishes?

a haiku capsule
                                                                            empathetic ear
                                                                            senses a painful sorrow
divert attention


My next blog shows tolerance is not good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment