Sunday 20 March 2016

Joseph's Cross

Joseph’s Cross
Image Worshiper series #1

Joseph, in my novel, Baggage burdens., is a man of faith. He took the following Bible passages seriously:
Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, . . . . (Ephesians 5: 22, 23)
He (a husband) must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?)  (1 Timothy 3:4, 5)
If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he had denied the faith and is worse that an unbeliever. (1 Timothy 5:8)
Joseph had no intention of failing to provide for his family, particularly for Jill. At times Jill’s behavior, dictated by her own upbringing, frequently challenged Joseph’s ability to care for her. Because Jill didn’t fully share her problems with her husband, Joseph often scrambled for solutions.  
Did Joseph learn the expectations of a husband from examples set by his father or grandfather or from the church’s teaching? Maybe Joseph’s love for Jill compelled him to act when he saw Jill wasn’t her normal happy energetic self. Either way, his love or responsibility for caring for Jill, his cross, felt too heavy. Frequently he sought advice from Thomas and Rebecca, his faith neighbours who were like family to him. They often rescued him. Joseph’s strategy added to the weight of his cross, as the examples below show.



    Jill’s face turns red. “Do you really want to know what the problem is?”
Jill’s voice forces Joseph to glance around the half full restaurant. Turning to Jill he firmly answers yes.
Jill leans forward and whispers. “When I am with Rebecca, I feel like a moron. Are you satisfied?”
The revelation catches Joseph off guard. He debates pushing any further. Taking her whispered response and her leaning forward as a sign that she doesn’t want to make a scene, he continues. “No. I don’t understand why a person who’s been so supportive . . .”
“That’s exactly why,” interrupts Jill. “She so good at everything. She’s such a good friend, such a good hostess, such a good cook, and such a good mother. I can’t compete. I can’t even come close.” 
“You don’t have to compete . . .”
“And if I don’t, will you ever come to me for advice instead of running to Rebecca? I’m tired of you asking her to come and help me like I’m a child. Before I know it you’re going to ask her to help me take care of my children.” Jill glances around the room to see if her raised voice is attracting attention. “Can we leave now?” Without waiting for an answer, she slides across the booth seat; puts on her scarf and overcoat.


 “My confusion stems from the fact that lately I’ve frequently misread you. As a result there’ve been many times I’ve been reluctant to talk to you. Literally, I’m afraid of how you’ll react. Somehow I do or say something that plunges you into a state of withdrawal. But last night was much more than withdrawal. Last night you lost complete control. I don’t even know if you realize what you said.” 
Joseph pauses, expecting a reaction from Jill. None comes. Uncertain if Jill is exercising patience or slipping into a depressive state again he continues. “The doctor said when a woman loses a baby she may experience bouts of depression.” 
Jill’s nod confirms she heard the same thing from the hospital doctor. Jill sits looking below the pocket level on Joseph’s shirt.
“I know you were pretty broken up when you returned from the hospital. But I felt that after our little talk before Christmas things were improving. At Amber’s birthday party I hoped I’d see a little of the Jill I married, but you seemed just to be going through the motions, like it was some kind of job you had to do. Be patient, Rebecca told me. So I tried.”
‘Rebecca again? Always Rebecca. I thought he said he’d quit running to her for every little thing. Who all has he been talking to? Who else thinks I’m totally messed up?’
haiku capsule
                                                                            head of family
                                                         hard job for a man alone
without a wife’s help


Next blog: Image Worshipers Sex––NO

No comments:

Post a Comment