Sunday 30 October 2016

A Challenging Church Diamond

A Challenging Church Diamond


The church as a beautiful gem, free of stains––is that a reality? In God’s eyes, because of Christ’s death, yes. In the eyes and memory of people in the larger community the church can be seen as a multi-stained, dirty, old garment.
In the novel, Baggage burdens., Jill sees the Orthodox Community Life church in rural Camrose as intolerant and oppressive. Yet frequently she’s the recipient of their compassion.
Considered the church as a golden goblet encircled with clusters of jewels. Can a few lackluster gems blanket bright white lights that leap from other gems on the drinking vessel?

Orthodox Community Life Church Experiences

Bill nods imagining the positions taken. Amber’s love for her mother means she’d defend Jill passionately. Daniel, embarrassed by his mother’s behaviors, would do his best to keep any news about his mother quiet. Daniel had told Bill that members of the Orthodox Community Life Church frequently expressed sympathy for Daniel and Joseph. The members saw Jill as a headstrong, willful woman who wouldn’t mind her husband. Some felt even angels would find Jill too challenging.


(after Jill’s still born child)
“If you ask me, I think the Lord is punishing Mrs. Kreshky. Raising four children, caring for a husband--that’s a handful. Never mind playing school teacher.”
“Maybe the Lord is trying to slow her down. Get her to have a more manageable load,” responds a person whom Jill can’t recognize.
“I can’t understand why she can’t get that right?” continues Mrs. Wicksberg.
After they leave, Jill sits quietly sobbing in a cubicle in the church washroom.


(after Jill’s first born child)
“You know, Ruth Pashka said in the future if we’re looking for babysitters she has some suggestions?”
Yes, Gerda was saying the same thing to me too. I can’t believe how helpful the women are now. Before it was like I had an infectious disease. They seemed afraid to talk to me.” Jill shrugs.
 “I know what you mean. Before I married you, it always felt like the women were watching me anytime I came near their daughters. It felt like they were trying to protect their kids from some foreigner.”
“I guess we’ve passed the grade,” laughs Jill, placing her empty glass on the table.


Joseph remembered being nervous when he spoke to Ron about the comment made by Nathan, his son. Nathan was the boy who asked Daniel why his mother hated everybody. Ron’s response was, “well, doesn’t she? She refuses to send her daughter to our school, like it’s not good enough for Amber. I figure she hates our way of life. She doesn’t want Amber to be contaminated by our ways.”
Ron’s boldness shocked Joseph. “Then why are we still sending Daniel to the church school?” Joseph asked. It was the first defense he could come up with.
“That too may change. Just mark my words.” Ron’s response was swift.
“I’ve told Daniel, and I’ll tell you or anyone else. If Daniel wants to attend the church school, then he can.”
Joseph felt Thomas’ hand rest gently on his shoulder.
‘I’ll bet Thomas is afraid I’ll explode,’ thought Joseph.
 “But there’s a logic to what you say Ron.” Joseph’s surprising statement lowered tension in Thomas’ workshop where Thomas and Joseph had finished assembling end tables for Ron. “I admit Jill’s actions on the surface sure don’t make her look good.”
“For sure,” seconded Ron confidently.
“On the other hand there might be another possible logic.”
Joseph waited for Ron’s reaction. Ron didn’t ask what it might be, but remained attentive.
“Maybe Jill loves her daughter so much that she just wants to spend as much time as she can with her. Even if her action may not be the best, it’s hard to fault that kind of motivation. Wouldn’t you agree?”
This time Joseph waited for a response. Ron grunted, “yeh.”
“That second line of thinking puts Jill in a positive light, wouldn’t you say? If we are called to love our neighbor as our self and protect their good name, which line of logic do you think would be more pleasing to the Lord, some grumblers in the church or the one I just described?”  Thomas’ patting Joseph on the shoulder encouraged Ron’s nod.


“Some people in the church questioned your values, your priorities when you started taking your education courses. The suspicion was that you were taking time away from your children and your husband. Joseph’s support for you put those concerns on the back burner. But when you sacrificed being with Amber and the children for last week’s birthday party, the question of your priorities resurfaced.”
While Jill doesn’t voice her objection, her face burns. She straightens herself out in her chair. ‘I had too much left to study. What’s wrong with me wanting to improve myself anyway?’ To keep from speaking her mind Jill reminds herself. ‘Rebecca’s only telling me what others are saying. She’s not acting as their representative.’
“Anything else I should know that’s floating around?” Jill keeps her voice calm.
“You’re known as one who works really hard at what ever you do. It’s reasoned that would be the case for your studies too. Soooo,” Rebecca debates finishing. “So, some wonder why you can’t just to count on the Lord to guide you through the exams.”
‘They just can’t accept me for who I am.’ Jill’s conclusion sticks in her head: They can’t accept me for who I am. ‘And maybe I can’t accept me for who I am, a school dropout. But I’ll have fixed that. I’ll have my diploma. I’ll be worthy of respect. If that doesn’t work––too bad. I’ll respect myself.’
Joseph decides to break the silence that’s building like a threatening thundercloud ready to dump its contents. “If anyone thinks my children are neglected by Jill, then let them ask Daniel or Amber or me. What they might learn is that Jill works so hard that she satisfies all of us—the children, herself, and me. That should suggest she should be held in awe.” Joseph leaves his chair, goes to Jill and puts his arm around her shoulder. He plants a kiss on her forehead.


What flashes of bright white light do you see in this church diamond?


haiku capsule:        
             woman’s role defined        
                               self or communal respect     
                               Lord’s light flickering


Next blog: Evangelist Spirit at Work

No comments:

Post a Comment