Sunday 16 December 2018

Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Some ideas that come to mind when I hear black sheep are: odd one, one who doesn’t fit with the rest, even ugly duckling. When referred to an individual this odd ball is usually someone who does unconventional things that doesn’t fit. Whichever way you look at it, the phrase isn’t meant to be complimentary. Other negative references might include he’s square, out of touch with reality, old fashion. However, such a person may be one to be admired instead of ridiculed. It all depends upon the nature of the group that is putting the different individual down. 
This is the mind set behind developing Joseph, a character in my novel,Baggage burdens. At the time he is seen as refusing to conform. Joseph is in the company of his mid-twenties uncles, who loved to drink, particularly at parties. Their uninhibited actions included arguing with their parents and being hurtful. Ironically Joseph and his uncle Mike were labeled as black sheep because they couldn’t “let loose at parties,” couldn’t let alcohol be their excuse for objectionable behavior. 
Both Uncle Mike and Joseph didn’t see themselves as black sheep, because they placed themselves in different company, Mike with his “old fashioned” parents and Joseph with his grandparents. Mike, as eldest son worked most closely with his parents and easily adopted their attitude of conserving your time and energy for useful activities. Joseph was raised by his grandparents. His parents died in a motor vehicle accident when he was very young. Joseph was very grateful for the love and attention from his grandparents, who were Mike’s parents too. 
Even though both Mike and Joseph successful resisted falling into the trap of self-serving actions a haunting impression stuck with them. They weren’t like the rest: they weren’t as good as the rest. That feeling that he wasn’t quite good enough hampered Joseph in trying to win the attention of girls he was attracted to. Somehow, he still felt like a black sheep, someone who was not worthy enough for a girl to want to be with. 
The saying: sticks and stones will break my bones but names won’t hurt me is not true.


“Defending my Uncle Mike often got me in a lot of trouble.” 
His younger brothers labeled Uncle Mike as the black sheep of the family. 
“Know why?” asks Joseph.
Jill shrugs.
“Because Uncle Mike never drank at weddings. He never let loose at parties. Even worse, they claimed Uncle Mike was a drag. He’d report stupid things they did or said when they were smashed. Uncle Mike claimed his parents would have found out sooner or later. 
When I refused to join them at night in the shop for a snort or two, they said I was weird, like Mike. But I couldn’t do it. I’d seen too many times how they would walk into the house drunk. Then they’d get into a big argument with their father. I couldn’t believe the spiteful things they said. Then they’d stamped out of the house. I even saw my grandmother wipe tears from her eyes a couple of times. I just couldn’t do that. Does that sound weird to you?

 “Mike had enough of his brothers bugging him. He simply moved out.”



“When I started working on the extension, I brought bagged lunches and sat at the back near my work area. From there, I admired you serving with such ease and confidence. You appeared to be having fun joking with the people in the bakery. I heard you came up with menu changes. That takes courage.” 
After only a week, Joseph quit making his own lunches so he could purchase his meals at the bakery, and he could talk to Jill. Joseph told Jill that he shared his impressions about her with his best friend, Thomas Croschuk, and that Thomas scolded him for hiding in the background and only ordering food. Following his advice, Joseph complimented Jill on her cooking and remarked about any wardrobe changes.
“Unfortunately, I made my move too late,” Joseph confesses. Embarrassed, he turns and looks out over the lake.
“What do you mean?”
“By the time I acted on Thomas’s advice, I was almost finished with the renovations. To have an excuse to return to the bakery, I volunteered to add the moldings on the ceiling and matching trim around the windows in the dining area. I only quoted Ed a price for materials, not for labor. Ed had a tight budget, but I hoped he would accept. It was a good deal. He did. Later, at the end of November, he paid me a bonus. I think he figured out why I offered to do the extra work. Anyway, I learned through the grapevine that you and Ben were spending a lot of time together. I thought there was something developing between you two, so I gave up hoping I could go out with you. Thomas told me I was stupid to give up without trying.”
When Joseph finishes his story, he looks at Jill. He sees no sign of disapproval. 

Haiku capsule:
Unlike the others
On the outside looking in
Tarred as a black sheep

Next Blog: Can’t Sing

No comments:

Post a Comment