Sunday 26 June 2016

GOOD RELATIONSHIPS––Nothing Better

 GOOD RELATIONSHIPS––Nothing Better
(Jill Kreshky)

“It’s all about relationships.” Those are the words of one of my golf buddies after I’ve had a bad hole. The admonition is meant to remind me that we play golf to enjoy each other’s company not get a low score. It’s good advice and it often lowers the frustration level. However, for Jill Kreshky in the book, Baggage burdens., that counsel wouldn’t work. While good relationships are very important to her, her perceived insecurity can’t take second place.

Like a concerned father, Ed questions Jill’s marriage to Joseph

During the drive back to Camrose a conversation that Ed had with Jill a week earlier returns. He’d come alone to her room, something he rarely did.
“You sure you want to move way out to the country?” he began. “You know there’s hardly anyone out there to talk to.” In response to Jill’s quick assurance that she had Joseph to talk to, Ed added, “I only question your decision because when I watch you in the bakery you seem so happy. You glow. It’s such a beautiful sight. You must really love Joseph.”
Ignoring Ed’s last comment Jill teased Ed. “You’ll miss me.”
“Yes, very much.”
“If I didn’t know better I’d think you were jealous of Joseph.” Jill had grinned as if she had caught Ed revealing more of himself than he intended.
For a moment Ed had turned red. After regaining his color he said. “Joseph is a good man. He’ll treat you right. I just hope that you’ll be happy.”
Jill had hugged him and thanked him for worrying about her.

Jill’s true motive for marrying Joseph––fear of Dave

The hot tea brings a yawn and then a stretching out on the couch. The TV drones on; the wedding plans whirl around in Jill’s head. Exhaustion from the last two nights of poor sleep drowns them out. 
Jill’s body sinks into the comfort of the chesterfield. She dozes. Her rest is a short-lived pleasure. 
“You phony.  Phony!  Phony!”  The deep male voice scratches Jill’s contentment like a cat’s claws raking her bare arm.  “Liar! Liar! Liar!” 
Jill cries out.  “Nooooooo.” 
Can’t marry me until you know more about me hey?  When did Joseph gain that vital knowledge about you before he agreed to this marriage?
“He thinks he knows enough,” whimpers Jill.
“And you know better. How dare you attempt to build a marriage without love? You know why you’re doing this? To hide from Dave.”

Jill’s need to move to Camrose

“Jill. I want you to know that I haven’t forgotten the suggestion you made about us moving to Camrose. As you can imagine, it is a difficult decision for me to make.” He sees Jill nodding. “You do still want to move, don’t you?”
“Yes.” Jill answers simply and without hesitation.
“Perhaps you can help me again appreciate why such an action is so important for you.” He faces Jill.
When she speaks, her words come out in a calm confident voice. She has anticipated the request. “When we went out for dinner on our fourteenth anniversary I asked you to explain why you decided that Daniel should continue going to the church school. Remember?”
Joseph nods.
“You said what makes Daniel happy is being with his friends.” Again Jill waits for Joseph to nod indicating he remembers. “That same idea applies to me. I don’t have any friends at your church. Oh, they tolerate me, but they aren’t my friends.”
Jill sees Joseph take a deep breath. Anticipating his objection she quickly adds, “Don’t think I haven’t heard the whispers about me being headstrong, not knowing my place, feeling I’m too good for them. I’ve heard it all.” Decibels rise with Jill’s anger. I know they don’t like the fact that I took courses to improve myself and that I’m homeschooling my girls. I’ve tried to explain to them why I want to do it. The next week I hear the same people griping about the same thing. I might as well have been talking to a wall.”
Joseph recalls Jill’s involvement with the Christmas play. Everyone praised her for her coaching. They even asked if she’d do it next year. “I know what you mean,” says Joseph. “At first I wasn’t accepted, but now I am. It just takes time.”
“Yes, but how much time? Amber’s almost nine. How much more time do they need?”
Before he can speak, Jill starts again. Her voice achieves the earlier calm tone. “You know, when Ann invited me to her church, they accepted and appreciated me right away. When I show up, people talk to me. They ask how I’m doing. They are interested in what I’m doing. I feel like I’m somebody in their eyes. That doesn’t happen when I go to church with you. I can, no, I have walked out without a soul speaking to me. Is it any wonder that I’d like to be close to people who treat me like friends?”


Moving motive––a lack of companionship
           




















haiku capsule:
                                       
                                                         glowing happiness
                                                              frowning friends, a fake welcome
     trade heaven for hell




Next blog: The Most Important RELATIONSHIPS

No comments:

Post a Comment