Sunday 4 December 2016

Blessings Abound


Blessings Abound
  
Imagine a homeless, lonely teenager struggling to survive. She finds temporary relief and help from an old woman who runs a room-and-board facility. What good luck! Then the teen is connected to her grandmother, a person who she hasn’t seen in years. The grandmother lets her use a house she normally rents out. No charge. Lucky teen. The girl moves from Ontario to Alberta and lands a job and accommodation with a loving employer. Lucky!
Lady Luck seems to be good to the lonely teen. Having an alcoholic father who drove her to run away from home and a boyfriend’s brother who groped her forcing her to once again flee may indicate that Lady Luck isn’t all that good.
One way of looking at life is a person is subject to the whims of Lady Luck. In my novel, Baggage burdens., that is likely how the main character, Jill, sees her life. Given the effects of her challenging trials she may well feel that Lady Luck has it in for her.






Another impression is implied in Baggage burdens. Even though Jill has little regard for God, God is always present and caring for her. His shadow falls on her escape path when she seeks help from the woman who runs a room-and-board facility. The old woman can’t do much for Jill, but she does tap people in her church who connect Jill with her grandmother. A blessing? Jill’s Alberta employer is a member of the United Church. She loves Jill so much that Jill looks upon her as a substitute mother. The man Jill marries is part of a Christian community too. Even when Jill attends a Family conference in Chicago she ends up in the company of a man from the United Church.
The shadows of God’s presence aren’t recognized or valued by Jill. Such is the case in the lives of many people. God’s presence is unseen. His love is not noticed. Even if one attempts to credit God for his good work, Lady Luck is often given the recognition. Consequently turning to God for help in troubling times isn’t seen as an option. Forget belief in prayer.



In the excerpt below Jill is trying to find the words to ask her son to forgive her. She can’t.


“Something wrong?”
“I don’t think I can do it,” Jill confesses. “Whatever I come up with sounds like I’m making excuses. That’ll never work.”
“The fact that you can recognize what doesn’t work proves you will come up with the right words. And if you don’t, don’t worry. No one is perfect. You can do it. I’m sure of it. Trust me.”
“I don’t know.”
“Jill, you really have to work on that trust. Believe me when I say I know you can do it.”
“But I don’t want to blow it.”
“Do you want help?”
“You can’t tell me what to say. It has to come from me.”
“You’re right, but I know how I can help you come up with the right words.”
“How?”
 “Prayer.”
“Prayer?”
“Yes. Pray. I’ll ask God to lead you in your talk with Daniel.”
“I don’t know.”
“You sound like Moses when he said to the Lord that he didn’t have the ability to speak to pharaoh. Remember. God gave him the ability he needed.”
“That’s in the Bible. That’s a long time ago.”
“You don’t think it happens today?”
“Not to my knowledge. I’ve never heard anyone claim that God inspired them to say anything of value.”

Knowing you can count on someone is helped by being aware of their past successes with you. If that is the case, when else could Jill have been aware that the Lord was walking with (helping) her?

haiku capsule:                 
lack of self confidence     
prayer untapped source for help
lost sheep needs shepherd



    Next blog: Adopt a Parent   

No comments:

Post a Comment