Sunday 22 July 2018

Best Friend

Best Friend


What behaviors or personal traits makes a person a best friend? Does the friend’s age matter? Is the length of time that one knows another an important factor? Since best friends are human that means they are also flawed. How important is the dark side of character? 
In writing a story best friends open the door to sharing secrets that would normally remain hidden. Other than a family member they are the ones who could most be a source of comfort, spur a person to seek reconciliation or strive for a presumed unattainable goal. 
In my novel where personal relationships are very important, the role of best friend is critical. The protagonist in my book, Baggage burdens. has many friends, but for her, who qualifies as a best friend is someone she respects and can be completely trusted. For Jill, trust doesn’t come easy so her friends are really tested. In many cases the flaw in one’s character is usually enough to disqualify them as a best friend. While her expectations may seem a little unrealistic, she does experience the company of some people who she trusts to a very high degree. 
Discovering Jill’s best friend will lead the reader to the image that the author sees as one who is an outstanding friend. Hint: Jill’s husband, Joseph, has a friend with acceptable behaviors and character traits. 


Candidates for Jill’s best friend––Robin, school friend
Candidates for Jill’s best friend––Karen, Jill’s room mate
Candidates for Jill’s best friend––Mary, Jill’s employer
Candidates for Jill’s best friend––Joseph, Jill’s husband
Candidates for Jill’s best friend––Rebecca, her neighbor
Candidates for Jill’s best friend––or?

“Okay, Jill,” begins Robin in a low vice. “Now tell me everything that happened at home.” She leans over the little table to catch every word.
Jill looks around to see if it’s safe to reveal her burden. 
“Between the two of us?”
Robin raises her hand as if she’s swearing an oath in court. “Promise.”
“It’s my father. I can’t stay in the same house with him anymore. I have to leave. But I really don’t want to get into any details.” 
Reaching across the table and holding Jill’s hand, Robin persists. “Did he hit you?” 
Jill is silent. 
“Once you were absent for three weeks. I didn’t call you. I should have. When you came back, you avoided your friends. You even avoided me. I felt like you didn’t want me for a friend, because I wasn’t there for you. I don’t want that to happen again. I’d like to respect your privacy, but this sounds too serious. Now come on, fess up.” 

Karen raises her voice a bit. “Good. Because I have a question.” Karen waits for Jill to sit down. “When do you plan to phone and tell your grandmother you’re leaving?” 
Jill’s silent. 
“You are going to phone your grandmother, aren’t you?” Karen’s eyes narrow, piercing guilt. 
Again, Jill waits, then shakes her head and takes a deep breath. “I’m not,” she announces firmly.
“But, Jill, you can’t leave your grandmother in the dark.” Karen leans forward. “Not after all that she has done for you.” 
“I have no choice—” 
“But—” 
Karen’s objection is cut short.
“And you can’t tell her where I’ve gone either.” Jill hopes the firmness of her voice continues to secure Karen’s support.
“But why? You know your grandmother has your best interests at heart.”
Jill recalls how she failed to object when Josey first said she was bringing Dave. She had no doubt that Josey’s conversation with Mrs. Maxwell and Dave convinced her that she was doing the right thing. The chances of Jill winning that argument with her grandmother were very slim. 
Standing up, Jill proclaims, “Dave’s coming on Monday. Of that I have no doubt. Josey gave up coming to see me in the play on Saturday. She won’t be changing her mind about bringing Dave. There’s no point in talking to her about her decision. Dave’s coming Monday. By me saying nothing and just leaving, I’m avoiding a useless, emotional argument.” 
Karen stands up to look directly into Jill’s eyes. “But at least tell your grandmother why you left.”
Jill thinks for a moment. “Then you tell her that I couldn’t let Dave find me. In private. Nothing else.” Jill takes Karen by the shoulders. “And whatever you do, don’t tell her where I went. No one must know. Otherwise this whole effort will be for nothing. Promise?” Karen’s silence prompts Jill to do a gentle shoulder shake. “You’ve got to promise for this to work. Promise?” 
Reluctantly Karen gives in. 

Scanning the bakery’s white aluminum siding, Jill sees a large picture window with open blinds. Inside, two scruffy men sit at a little table drinking coffee. Afraid they might look at her, Jill turns her attention to the scaffolding cluttering the sidewalk. Seeing no tools or building materials on the metal skeleton, Jill guesses renovation work was interrupted. 
A cheerful voice reaches out from the bakery entrance. Mary Prezchuck calls out again. 
“You Jill Rezlay?” 
Mary’s heavy, waving arm and smiling face draw a smile from Jill. The large round lady fills the doorway. Her short brown hair closely hugs the contours of her head.
“Yes, I am.” Jill starts to approach her advancing host. 
Mary steps past Jill’s outstretched hand and hugs Jill.
“Welcome to Camrose.”

“Is my princess ready to be given away?” 
Ed’s voice comes as Jill twirls left and right, at first slowly and then quickly in front of her full-length bedroom mirror. 
Mary’s words when they drove from Edmonton after shopping for her dress rescue Jill. “Joseph is a very good man.” 
Mary’s right,she tells herself. Joseph is a good man. He doesn’t drink any alcohol. He’s not like my father.
During the drive back to Camrose, a conversation that Ed had with Jill last week returns. He’d come alone to her room, something he rarely did. 
 “You sure you want to move way out to the country? You know there’s hardly anyone out there to talk to.” In response to Jill’s quick assurance that she had Joseph to talk to, Ed added, “I only question your decision because when I watch you in the bakery, you seem so happy. You glow. It’s such a beautiful sight. You must really love Joseph.”
Ignoring Ed’s last comment, Jill teased Ed. “I bet you’ll miss me.”
“Yes, very much.”
“If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were jealous of Joseph.” Jill had grinned as if she had caught Ed revealing more of himself than he intended.
For a moment, Ed too had turned red. After regaining his color, he said, “Joseph is a good man. He’ll treat you right. I just hope that you’ll be happy.”
Jill had hugged him and thanked him for worrying about her. 

On days when Joseph and Thomas go to market, Rebecca visits Jill. Jill’s pregnant, carrying Amber. In the beginning, Jill and Rebecca paint and decorate Amber’s room. Later they bake or go shopping. In the spring, Rebecca helps prepare the flower beds around the house. In midsummer, Jill’s energy drains substantially. Rebecca can’t convince Jill to see the doctor. Instead, Jill agrees to afternoon naps. 
Summer dissolves into fall. Rebecca catches Jill by surprise when she asks about plans for Jill’s son’s birthday party. Building on the success of last year’s party, Rebecca masterminds this year’s celebration. Jill asks that the party be at her place, not Rebecca’s. “It won’t be too much for me,” she insists. Rebecca sends out the invitations, purchases treats, and organizes games.

haiku capsule:
Always there for me 
Right or wrong, he supports me
My best friend ever
                                                                                                          
Nextblog: YouCrossed the Line

Order the e-book from kindle or kobo now or your soft cover from Amazon.
What are the most important characteristics of your best friend?
I’d like to hear your response. (callingkensaik@gmail.com)
I’d love to use it on my new website that’s being developed.

All comments will be entered for a draw on the Baggage burdens.companion novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment