Monday 5 January 2015

Humble or NOT

     As a new writer lacking confidence in one's work is normal. Confidence in a piece of work grows with feedback from others––what they like, what is not clear. From feedback comes polishing, polishing, polishing. Soon your work shines. 
     Pride then pokes its head out of the soil like a leaf in the spring. Highlighting specific words, phrases, images, or references that you planted in your work is an expression of joy, a means of exciting someone else about your work. I see the focus on the strengths of a new creation as fans praising their winning sports team, talking about the crucial plays, the hero players. Like excited fans of a winning team I can't wait to share the good news of my new piece.  
     A cloud over this time of joy is that identifying the gems of your work can be seen as bragging. That negative impression pelts down on enthusiasm like hail. On the other hand if you want to sell your written work, you need the excitement of finding sparkling jewels. If you can't see the beauty in your work, how do you expect others to want to explore what you laboured on?  Keeping silent, saying nothing about your pride and joy means you might not make a sale. 
     In future posts I ask for forgiveness for identifying what I love about a piece of my writing, for being in love with what I created.

No comments:

Post a Comment