Sunday 28 February 2016

TOO OLD

 Too Old
Comfort series #1



 When the spirit is willing and the body isn’t, what do you do to feel good about yourself? Near the end of my novel, Baggage burdens. Josie Sommerfeld is an elderly woman in her mid nineties. For this arthritic plagued woman her best years are behind her.  A recent heart event she dismisses, but what she can’t ignore is absence of her youngest granddaughter. The possibility that she drove Jill, her granddaughter, to run away hangs over her like dark thundercloud that threatens hail. Helping family-loving Josie cope with her loss of Jill is Jill’s sister, Kathy and Kathy’s three children.
Business investments, friends and philanthropic pursuits temporarily distract Josie from worrying about Jill. Josie’s source of comfort grows from a summer when Jill moved into the house that Josie and her husband spent their retirement years. While Josie is too old to live in her three-bedroom brick colonial house on a small acreage, she refuses to sell it and bank a huge sum of money. Why?
How many old people do you know who can’t part with (sell or throw out) some possession from the past? On the surface such actions defy reason. However, some past possessions are more than memories. They represent foundational values that must be respected.

 Jill looks at her grandmother’s bulky photo album, a catalogued of flowers conveying a gardening history of her grandparents. It also shows their efforts to create a park like setting. . . .
Josey had said We came to view this two story house because it had three bedrooms. We wanted enough room for our children and grandchildren when they’d come to visit.”
Only Joan, Alice’s sister, ever came with her family.
“Seeing a hedge of yellow roses, Golden Wings, bordering the long driveway to the house hooked us,” Josey exclaimed! “We had to explore the rest of the yard. Before we entered the house, George knew he wanted to buy the place.”


“Jill. Since your mother died I’ve had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with Kathy and her family. I’ve been able to enjoy her children and help Kathy raise them. But you weren’t around. I couldn’t do anything for you.”
 “I’m sorry Josey but––”
Jill’s grandmother shakes her head cutting off Jill’s excuse. “The loss has been mine, but it’s also been yours too. I’m afraid you have no idea how much you’ve missed out. I hope with what I’m about to say to you, you will have an idea. You will also know that I have waited a long time to be able to do something for you to show how much I love you. First I want to ask you if you are able to write a cheque to me for one hundred dollars.”
“Yes, but what for?”
Josey opens the folder and hands Jill an offer to purchase form. “For my Brampton house, the one you love so much.”

“But it’s so valuable––”
You are so valuable. And you love this place. I know you will take care of it. Rent it or sell it. Do whatever you think is best for you and your family. At my age I have no more use for such a large house or the money I get from it. All I do with my money is invest it with friends like the Martoni’s or others. And I have done that. There’s no need for me to do any more. 

George and Josie’s retirement home, the Brampton brick colonial house, was also a home for Josie’s children and grandchildren, and a haven and heaven for Jill. For Josie selling her asset was impossible. No amount of money could equal the value she derived from owning and seeing the house.

haiku capsule
                                                                            colonial house
                                                         love-lure to call granddaughter
home is not for sale


Next blog:  SOURCES OF COMFORT for a runaway daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment