Sunday 6 August 2017

Unhealthy Failure Responses

UNHEALTHY FAILURE RESPONSES


Like breathing, failure is a part of life. No one is perfect. The big question is what does one do after experiencing a failure. There are many reactions to a disappointment, but they can be classified into two broad categories––unhealthy and healthy. For the moment let’s consider the former by looking at the nature of the reaction and some consequences.
Identifying negative responses after failing to achieve a goal or a dream provides a writer with valuable tools to increase tension in a story. Blaming others for your failure is not unusual. Such a person may then consider attacking the scapegoat or getting even.
In my novel, Baggage burdens. Greg perceives that one of his friends is a better poker player than he is. To break his friend’s winning streak and throw him off his game, Greg accuses him of cheating. Greg’s strategy works. His friend starts losing. He doesn’t come to future games, but Greg doesn’t care. What a villous character! No wonder Greg’s friends are guests who come to his party for the free food, booze, and music. Getting even isn’t a better response. Because of an unwanted sexual advance Jill steals some of Greg’s poker winnings. Later, not only does her conscience bother her, but she fears that Greg will find her and get even too.
If one thinks the stumbling block that caused the failure is too great, then running away is an option. Jill chooses this option. She moves to a different city to get away from Dave, her former boyfriend, former because of an unwanted sexual encounter. When he finds her, she moves to a different province. Her decision results in her being separated from her loving grandmother for almost thirty years.
Dave’s attempt to find and meet with Jill to apologize fails. He can’t help dwelling on his loss. His shock paralyzes his dreams for years. He’s like a dog gnawing on an old dry bone. Jill too, can’t help but dwell on her failure to get her father to quit drinking. Fear of his beatings last. Almost thirty years later Jill still can’t get over the frustrations with her father. Her inability to deal with her father almost prevents her from going back to Ontario to visit her ill grandmother.
While the characters’ actions illustrate disadvantages to unhealthy responses to failure, something is missing. The depth of the character’s pain is best seen through their feelings. The next two excerpts exemplify the emotional consequences.


“One spring afternoon I was driving Joseph’s truck to pick him up from the market. I stepped on the brakes and started sliding into the intersection. I decided I’d end up in the middle so I drove right through. I didn’t think anything of it until a ticket came in the mail. The picture showed me driving. Joseph said he’d pay the fine and be done with it. I objected. The roads were very slippery. I couldn’t help it. I wasn’t driving without due care and caution. Anyway, I went to court. Have you ever gone to court?” Jill looks again at Bill.
He shakes his head.
“It’s scary. At least for me it is. I watched the judge lecture three accused people before me. Words like road safety, watch out for others, you’re not the only one on the road, accused the people before me of being immature, irresponsible. The last guy, a young guy, was even told to grow up. The judge seemed to be on mission, crucify poor drivers.”
She doesn’t tell Bill that the judge’s attacks reminded her of her father.

“Then it was my turn. I’m sure he saw me shaking like a leaf in the wind. He smiled and helped me explain why I came to court. My only defense was to describe the nature of the roads. I presented a copy of newspaper article describing the roads and weather at the time. I had no other evidence. I knew it was wrong to drive through the intersection on a red light. I deserved to be punished. In the end, he reduced the charge and the fine. The point I’m trying to make is that when I was looking up at him, I felt like a little mouse trapped. The cat was a foot away. Anyway, that’s the feeling I have about going back to Ontario. I’ve tried to figure out what I’ve done wrong. The only thing I can come up with is running away from home.”
           
           

“He’s wonderful!” Jill points to Dave, as she sits on a park bench with her grandmother.
To give the wedding couple a break, Dave focuses on other members of the family.
“I gave him a list of pictures I’d like him to take,” says Josey. “I haven’t seen him consult it once.”
“He certainly seems happy.”
“He is now.”
“Now?” Jill looks at her grandmother.
Josey studies her granddaughter trying to decide if she should explain.
“Josey?” Jill’s coaxing encourages Josey to reveal her secret.
“Just between the two of us?” Josey voice drops.
Jill nods and leans closer.
“That long weekend in Brampton, the weekend you left, I told Dave that you might not be there. He refused to believe me. He came anyway and talked to Karen and, and that other lady.”
“Linda,” offers Jill.
“Yes. I think that’s who it was. Anyway Dave was devastated. Moped around for two years. Can you imagine?”
Jill recalls how she felt when Joseph left her. She nods.
“He kept dropping over for a visit. Hoping, I guess, that I might hear a word from you. When his visits became less frequent, I became worried.” Josey feels uncomfortable with the revelation.
Jill touches her grandmother’s hand; her eyes plead for her to continue.
“I admired his persistence. I felt as long as he had hope that I would hear from you, then I too, should keep my hopes up. I suspected his persistence was becoming an embarrassment to him, so I encouraged him to start a photography business. He’d been doing several little jobs already, sort of like part time work. That really perked him up. When we met, he could pretend it was for business. I could tell he still missed you. It took three more years before he started going out with Lori. A year later they married. Another half year and then she was pregnant. By then he was more like you see him now.”


haiku capsule:                 
unsuccessful try
If only I––, I wish I––
Loser. You loser.



Next blog: Responding to Failure

No comments:

Post a Comment