Sunday 6 January 2019

PASSIONS

Passions

What is your passion, that something you can’t wait to get back to, that something that so occupies you that time ceases to exist?  The list of passions could be endless but what really counts is the joy one receives from engaging in that special activity. Sign of the good life––one who is able to frequently engage in their favorite hobby. I say frequently because life’s responsibilities––your job, your family and good friends–– are priority one.
Your passion is not something you enjoy doing to pass the time. It’s something you steal time to do.  I love to play golf and pool. Then time ceases to exist. But if I’m not in a game I’m okay. Not true with writing. I miss writing if I can’t spend time creating a new piece of work and then showing it off to those who are willing to put up with my excitement.
Some people are lucky. They can earn a living from their passions. Think sports figures, musicians. There are some people whose job is their passion. Most of us, writers artists, need a job to pay for the love of our treasured activity. 
In my novel, Baggage burdens. many characters have a passion, but for one reason or another from time to time they have to set it aside for life’s demands. Reality. But the dream of making a living from one’s passion is kept alive in the person of Amber. She loves painting so much she makes it her focus in her post-secondary education goals. Her work is so good it sells. At different times she receives support from her aunt, her mother and her grandmother. However, the reality that one needs a job to support the passion is portrayed in the Jill (loves drama) and Joseph (loves growing food). 
Note: The best attribute about following your passion is that being involved in it is its own reward. Being paid for it is just a bonus, a very pleasing bonus.

How’s this for supporting 
a passion?

“Look what I made for you, Aunt Julie,” announces Amber as she tugs her hand. 
Julie squats. “What’ve you got there?” She points to an index card held in Amber’s hand.
Amber turns the card around for Julie to see a strawberry shortcake that she painted. “For you,” announces Amber. “You like strawberry shortcakes, so I painted one for you.” 
“It’s beautiful. And such incredible detail! I can even see the seeds on the strawberries. For me? You sure?” 
Amber nods, prompting Julie to give her a hug and thank her.
“Let me show you something special,” says Amber. She reaches for her card. “You see this?”
“Yes.”
“It kind of looks like a mistake, doesn’t it?” confesses Amber. “A bug landed on my work, so I used a corner of a toilet paper to wipe it away. I tried to be really careful and just barely touch the painting. It smudged. I was going to throw it away. Then I used my finger to brush away the spot. It smeared. I looked at it again.” Floating her thumb gently over the smudge, she explains, “I lengthened it. Now it looks like someone took a spoon and started eating the cake. Don’t you think that’s what it looks like?”

“I do!” says Julie, surprised at the young artist’s creative genius. “I’m sure glad you didn’t throw it out. I think I’ll buy a frame and put your painting in it. When you come to my place someday …” She pauses and looks at Jill. When Jill nods her approval, Julie continues, “You’ll see it up on the wall.”
“Really!” Amber’s thrilled. 

                My support wasn’t as enthusiastic
––I’m jealous–– 
but the encouragement 
still did the trick.

Haiku capsule:
Favorite hobby
Excitement bubbling over
My best time ever

Next Blog: Favorite Place

No comments:

Post a Comment